You can combine multiple products or components in a bundle. In erplain, they are called assemblies and kits. Just like creating a recipe, you can create a product that is made from other products (or components).
There are 2 types of bundles:
1. Assemblies - Bundles with their own inventory and pricing. Components must be transformed to obtain a certain quantity of assemblies.
2. Kits - A set of products which stock and price automatically reflects the sum of stocks and prices of each component. No transformation is necessary.
Where to start?
Whether it's kit or an assembly, it is necessary to create each component in erplain. Components are separate products, each with their own stock, price, SKU, etc. For information, you can buy or sell the components individually of the kit or assembly.
This type of bundle is just like linking multiple products together. The stock of the assembly is the result of a manual transformation of the components. Based on the components in stock, create the desired assembly quantities.
- The price of an assembly is independent of the price of its components.
- The assembly is compatible with the use of purchase orders, entries, removals and stock movements.
- When selling an assembly, only the inventory of the assembly is updated.
- Assemblies can be used as components of other kits or assemblies
Creating an Assembly
To create an assembly, start by creating a new product (or editing an existing product) with its information, pricing and inventory. Products > + CREATE
1. Select product type, single product or with variants then "Assembly".
2. Then, select the products and quantity that will become the components of your new assembly. For example, a product called Table is made of 1 Table top, and 4 Legs (its components).
3. Transform bundle
Once you have created your bundle, you will need to allocate the components from your current inventory to 'create' a certain number of bundles.
In other words, you need to transfer the components' inventory to your new 'bundle' product (or finished product). In the example above, you will need 1 'Table top', and 4 'Legs' to make 1 'Table'. Your 'Table' inventory will increase by one, the Legs' inventory will decrease by 4 and the 'Table top' inventory will decrease by 1.
Select the Assembly to transform and choose the location and your quantity:
For example: if you type 5, it will create 5 'Table', remove 5x4 'Legs' and 5x1 'Table top'.
erplain will suggest automatically the number of assemblies you can create based on the component's inventory but you can still create more bundles if necessary. The inventory of component will be negative, ready to be replenished.
Split an assembly
If you want to reverse this operation you can split a bundle. Spliting the assembly "table" will reduce the inventory of tables and increase the inventory of table tops and legs in the selected location.
This type of bundle will create a product that doesn't have inventory or pricing of its own. The inventory and pricing is calculated from its components. No transformation is required.
- The price of a kit is the sum of its components prices.
- The kit is not compatible with the use of purchase orders, entries, exits and stock movements.
- Kits cannot be used as components of other kits or assemblies.
Create a Kit
To create a kit go to Products > + CREATE.
1. Select product type, single product or with variants then "Kit".
2. Add the kit information, sku, name,etc.
3. Select the products and quantity that will become the components of your 'kit' product. You can also select a discount for this kit.
Example: The kit 'Tennis kit' is made from 3 pair of socks and 1 pair of shoes. If you have 10 pair of socks and 5 pair of shoes, then your kit will have 3 on-hand.
How does discount apply?
The discount applies on each component. If a kit includes Product A with a price of $20 and Product B with a price of $40, the bundle price will be $48.
- Discount on product A: 20 x 0.8
- Discount on product B : 40 x 0.8
Once the kit is created, you can view the component's inventory from the Stock level menu:
If you want to show the components in the PDF documents, you can select this option in the PDF Settings:
Additional information about bundles
- Please note that Bundles are available in the Premium plan subscription only.
- Kits cannot be transformed into assemblies and vice versa.
If you need to sync this type of bundle (Inventory and Pricing from Components) with QuickBooks, please read the instructions on this page.